Dietitian Noelle Martin adds a twist to the classic BLT with a capital T. Trout makes this classic sandwich dinner-worthy.
Update a BLT with omega-3-rich Canadian rainbow trout. The combination of cornmeal-crusted trout, crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, juicy tomato and a creamy lemon-dill sauce takes this classic into new dinner-worthy territory.
The perfect weeknight meal
This one-pan meal is quick and easy to prepare. The bacon and rainbow trout are both cooked in the oven for a short time and the sauce is simple to mix together while the fish is cooking. Pair with a green salad, coleslaw or some cut up veggies and hummus and your family will be fueled up in no time.
Ready to get your kids into the kitchen?
Research tells us that the more kids help with a meal, the more likely they are to enjoy it. This is a great meal to have your child help with. They can help toss the trout in cornmeal, mix the sauce ingredients together and then assemble their whole sandwich.
No trout available?
No problem. You can also use Canadian salmon, haddock, white fish, hake or ling cod for the same delicious sandwich. And don’t worry, you can still call it a BLTT—we won’t tell.
Crispy BLTTs with ultimate sauce
A classic BLT sandwich gets a protein-rich twist when you add a fillet of lightly cornmeal-crusted oven-baked trout. Crisp bacon, a few fresh toppings and the best-ever fish burger sauce take these restaurant-inspired sandwiches to the next level. No one will believe you made this at home.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
8 slices bacon
1 Canadian rainbow trout fillet (1 lb/450 g), cut into 4 portions
Pinch each salt and pepper
1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
4 panini buns, split
4 lettuce leaves
1 tomato, sliced
½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped green onion
¼ tsp (1 mL) grated lemon zest
1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped drained capers
2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
½ small clove garlic, pressed or grated
- Arrange bacon on large parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated 425°F (200°C) oven, turning once, until desired doneness, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour cornmeal into shallow dish. Add trout pieces, turning and pressing into cornmeal to coat.
- Remove bacon to paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Drain almost all of the fat from the baking sheet, leaving a thin coating. Arrange trout on baking sheet. Bake until fish flakes easily when tested with fork, turning once, about 10 minutes.
- Ultimate Sauce: Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, onion, lemon zest and juice, capers, dill and garlic.
- Fill buns with sauce, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and trout.
Tip: The ultimate sauce also makes a fantastic topper for grilled fish or shrimp.
Make seafood a part of your weekly meal plans. Find more simple and delicious seafood recipes at chooseseafood.ca.