If one were to believe everything is shown to us in the media, on social media, and on both the big and small screens, we would probably get a somewhat skewed view of the world.
Over-the-top and dramatic representations of anything related to caring for and treating children and teens can make parents hesitate to get that care and treatment. How much do you know about residential treatment centers? Do you know how they can keep your teen safe, offer the correct type of mental health treatments, and see your teen back on a healthy path?
With so much of a focus on the potential negativity surrounding these types of treatment facilities, it’s easy to see how parents could think that residential treatment centers are not the right place to get their teens the help they need. Learning more about what can be found at a safe residential treatment center can help reassure parents of teens in crisis.
What is a residential treatment center?
What exactly is a residential treatment center, and why should you consider one for a teen who is in crisis? In short, it is an inpatient treatment center where teens live, learn, and start the healing process. The programs at the facilities offer treatment for teens struggling with anger or impulse control concerns, depression, anxiety, criminal behaviors, and so much more. Teens receive a complete evaluation and assessment upon arrival so that the correct treatment program can be offered to them.
There are different types of residential treatment centers, each offering its own programs and treatment options. Parents must take the time to partner with the proper organization so that the individual needs of their teens can be met.
Quite often, teens who receive treatment through a residential treatment center have tried one or more types of outpatient treatment options. They may also be unable to get the correct kind of support at home due to their mental wellness concerns.
While no parent wants to be apart from their teen, the services and treatments offered in a residential treatment center can provide families with the space and time they need to recover and heal.
It is also worth considering that some teens may face legal trouble if they don’t get into a reputable treatment center to address the concerning behavior they’ve been displaying.
Safety is a priority
It can’t be denied that some organizations don’t prioritize the mental wellness and physical safety of their clients and patients. That said, most organizations will have their patients’ safety as their primary focus. While a select few organizations may focus more on the financials, those with a focus on the health of their patients will make it clear where their focus truly is. Safety is always a priority for a reputable residential treatment center.
Safety comes in several forms, including ensuring that patients are physically safe and that their mental wellness is protected every step. What could this look like for your teen?
- A facility that is secured and protected. This could mean ensuring that your teen cannot wander out without supervision and that no one who isn’t authorized can get in.
- No weapons or items on site that could potentially harm your teen.
- Zero access to drugs and alcohol.
- Consideration for mental health concerns to ensure teens are allowed to recover and heal.
Your teen’s safety and well-being will always be the priority of a facility focused on helping teens in crisis.
How can a residential treatment center help your teen?
You know that your teen is struggling and may be in a state of crisis. But just how can a residential treatment center address your teen’s needs? It’s important to point out that the initial evaluation your teen undergoes will help to determine the best treatment path for your teen. That evaluation alone can prove helpful as it will narrow down the beneficial therapies your teen should focus on.
Other ways a residential treatment center could help your teen include the following:
- Individual, family, and group therapy. The focus is always on protecting your teen’s mental health, and therapy is a good, safe space for families to explore some of their shared concerns.
- Management of medication as it is needed. Not all teens will find benefit from medication therapy, but some will. Skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable medical staff will see to the medication management needs of your teen.
- Routine and as-needed medical care. Whether your teen has asthma that needs to be managed or gets sick while in the residential treatment center, he will be cared for by medical professionals.
- Educational options, so your teen doesn’t fall further behind in his studies. Many teens who have been in crisis find that they are falling behind with their education.
- Skills training, including learning how to best care for his own needs and to cook.
- Opportunities for social activities. Being able to relax and unwind with teens his age in a safe space can be incredibly beneficial for any teen.
- Recreational activities that also serve as a form of therapy and teambuilding. Some may play basketball, others may go horseback riding or hiking. Each facility will offer its own types of activities for teens to participate in.
Your teen will live at the facility, spend time with others who may be struggling with the same issues he faces, and will have time to learn, reflect, and grow.
At HelpYourTeenNow we are committed to helping get troubled teens the right type of help, to address the unique concerns that they are facing. We focus on pairing parents with the resources they need to find treatment solutions to meet the needs of their teens in crisis. Call us to speak with one of our compassionate team members. There’s no time like right now to get your teen help.