You would be forgiven for thinking that all a baby needs is your breasts and lots of love for a successful breastfeeding journey, but for new mums just starting out, there are a few breastfeeding essentials that will make it all go a lot smoother.
The early days and weeks with a newborn are about learning and exploring what works best, so with the right tools and advice, your breastfeeding experience can be a rewarding one.
1. Establish a good breastfeeding support network
The most important breastfeeding essential is great support. Join the Australian Breastfeeding Association, put their Breastfeeding Helpline number on your phone, and go to one of their local face-to-face support groups. Find a good lactation consultant too, even if things are going well. They can help to identify any issues early on and help you to gain confidence as a new mum.
2. Qiara Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
QIARA supports health during pregnancy and breastfeeding while reducing symptoms and occurrences of mild mastitis. QIARA is a breastmilk isolated strain that helps restore and maintain the balance of ‘good’ bacteria in the microbiome, which is critical to the pregnancy and breastfeeding journey. Read more here
- Reduce and relieve symptoms of mild mastitis – along with reducing occurrences
- Restore gut health – restoring good gut flora during and after antibiotic use, important for C-section or GBS positive mums
- Improve healthy digestive systems – before, during and after pregnancy
- Restore balance of good bacteria – in breastmilk that may have been reduced by antibiotics or other external factors
- Maintain and support gastrointestinal system health
- Help improve good bacteria growth
3. Medela Freestyle Flex™ 2-Phase Double Electric Breast Pump
Freestyle Flex™ is an electric breast pump designed to fit into your life: its light, compact design and USB-chargeable battery give you the flexibility to express wherever and whenever you like, with no compromise on pumping performance. Plus, it includes a carry bag, cooler bag for expressed milk, four breast milk bottles, and more!
- Compact, light and portable breast pump, easy to carry wherever you go
- Built-in rechargeable battery so you can express anywhere – no need to search for a power point
- Medela PersonalFit Flex™ breast shields for your comfort and increased milk flow
- Closed system prevents breast milk from entering the tubing.
4. Weleda Nursing Tea
Enjoy peaceful and relaxing feeding times with your baby, thanks to Weleda’s delicious tea – especially developed together with midwives and pharmacists for breastfeeding mothers. 20 individually wrapped sachets in a handy, quick access box!
- Helps to balance your fluid intake, thus supporting natural milk production
- Delicious, refreshing taste
- Carefully screened for harmful substances
- Sugar-free & Vegan
5. Medela Family App
The Medela Family app is your personal helper. With the app you can easily track important stats for pregnancy, baby, and breastfeeding and it gives you tips and support to help you meet your goals.
- Pregnancy tracking – With Medela Family you can track the duration, frequency and pain intensity of contractions.
- Baby tracking – The following sessions can be tracked for one or more babies: breastfeeding, pumping, sleep, bottle feeding, diaper changes, weight and length.
- Pump connectivity – Connect to Medela’s Freestyle Flex breast pump via Bluetooth and save time tracking sessions automatically.
- Hands free voice control – Use your voice to track a session! Especially handy when changing a dirty diaper.
- Virtual milk storage – With this smart milk inventory system you will always know how much milk you have in your stash.
6. Quax Rocking Nursing Chair
This beautiful nursing chair from Quax is stylish, practical and makes feeding your baby a joy. It is ergonomically designed to offer optimal comfort and features an integrated headrest and supportive armrests.
- Ergonomic design
- Integrated headrest
- Supportive armrests
- Soft, padded seat
- Solid birch runners with felt underside
7. Cake Maternity Tutti Frutti Nursing Bra
This luxuriously soft and wire-free bamboo viscose bra offers delicate lace detailing that’ll take you from day to night, pregnancy and beyond.
- Luxuriously soft wire free support made from bamboo viscose and memory foam.
- Plunge neckline offering a touch of lace.
- Folded side sling support.
- Innovative low racer back design for medium level support & comfort.
- Easy-feed drop down cups with nursing clips.
8. Tommee Tippee Made for Me Single Electric Breast Pump
The Made for Me Electric Breast Pump is portable, lightweight and discreet enough to give you confidence and freedom to express breast milk when and where you want. It’s extremely quiet and gives you a choice of massage and express modes so that you can you can discover the most comfortable way to stimulate your milk flow and express your breast milk.
- Lab tested – significantly quieter than the leading breast pump available
- Gentle on breasts – soft, cushioned silicone cup that’s gentle on breasts
- USB rechargeable – powered by a lightweight, USB rechargeable power unit so you can use this breast pump anywhere
- Long lasting power – full charge gives you over 60 minutes of power to express breast milk on the go
- Timer – LED screen lets you see how long you’ve been expressing for.
9. Pinky’s Boobie Bikkies Trio Pack
Boobie Bikkies have been scientifically formulated for breastfeeding mums. Created by International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), Pinky McKay, alongside a team of dieticians, food scientists and nutrition professionals, our award-winning bikkies contain galactagogues – ingredients used for centuries to support a healthy milk supply.
- No preservatives or additives – just natural and organic ingredients.
- Each Boobie Bikkie is individually wrapped for maximum freshness, so you can pop some in your nappy bag for an easy and nutritious on-the-go snack.
- Each box contains 10 generous and filling 30g biscuits.
10. Mustela’s Nursing Comfort Balm – certified ORGANIC
Mustela’s Certified Organic Nursing comfort balm is a soothing and restorative nipple cream that keeps skin comfortable while breastfeeding.
Specialy formulated to protect sensitised nipples, it soothes and helps to restore the skin, to enable new mums fully enjoy breastfeeding.
- Made of 100% plant-based ingredients
- The key ingredient is Olive oil – known for its nourishing properties.
11. Rite Aid Hydrogel Breast Discs 12pk
Recommended by breastfeeding mothers and lactation consultants Australia-wide, the Rite Aid Hydrogel Breast Discs cool and soothe sore nipples, creating the optimal environment for healing broken and inflamed skin.
- Cools irritated skin
- Soothes sore nipples
- Aids healing of broken skin
- Sterile and hygienically sealed
12. My Brest Friend Breastfeeding Pillow Super Deluxe
Wrap around nursing pillow design secures to the body helping mum and baby maintain positioning and latch-on. Back rest helps you maintain good posture during nursing and prevents sore back and neck. Firm, flat cushion keeps baby from rolling when nursing. Adjustable, silent-release strap fits moms or dads comfortably and unlatches without waking baby. Arm and elbow rests eliminate shoulder stress.
- A convenient pocket keeps water bottles, burp cloths, phone, and other nursing accessories or items within reach.
- Double-featured strap with Velcro and silent-release buckle for easy, one-hand use.
- Slipcover stays fresh through dozens of washes.